This article provides guidance for configuring forms-based authentication for a SharePoint 2010/2013 web application that uses a Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) membership provider. Using a LDAP provider with forms-based authentication means that users will be using their Windows or Active Directory (AD) accounts to log in.
The steps in this article apply to both SharePoint Server 2010 and 2013.
This configuration has the following phrases that must be performed in consecutive order:
Create a new Web application that uses forms-based authentication
Configure the Web.Config files for an LDAP membership provider
- Create a new Site collection
Within each phase, the set of procedures must also be performed in consecutive order.
Phrase 1: Create a web application that uses forms-based authentication
- Launch SharePoint 2013 Central Administration
- In the Application Management section, click Manage web applications
- In the toolbar, click New
- In the Create New Web Application dialog box:
- De-select Enable Windows Authentication.
- Select Enable Forms Based Authentication (FBA)
Enter "LdapMember" in the ASP.NET Membership provider name box
Enter "LdapRole" in the ASP.NET Role manager name box
Configure other settings for this new web application as needed, and then click OK to create it.
Phrase 2: Configure the Web.Config files for an LDAP membership provider
After you have successfully created the new web application, modify the following Web.Config files in every web front-end server in the farm:
- The Central Administration web application Web.Config file
- The Security Token Service Web.Config file
- The new web application Web.Config file
Configure the Central Administration Web.Config file
Configure the Security Token Service Web.Config file
Configure the new web application Web.Config file
Phrase 3: Create a new site collection
- Click Application Management
- In the Site Collections section, click Create site collections
- Select the newly created web application
- Fill in a name and select a template
- Configure other settings for this new site collection as needed, and then click OK to create it.
There is no content with the specified labels